Who doesn’t like junk food? Even if the health industry is screaming about the ill effects of junk food, people have not started eating it. Some cheat and eat, while others eat as a way of enjoying lives. And there are some health-conscious people who invent some healthier forms of junk food and munch on it without any guilt.
No matter how much awareness is created to stop eating junk food, it will remain in demand, and people will always crave it. But let us tell you the truth. All junk foods are not bad for your health, but if you have a tub of cheese popcorn and a massive bar of white chocolate every day, then certainly you are simply surviving on junk food.
In this article, we will discuss the junk food business and how it can be harnessed as a business opportunity without tampering with the health and lives of prospective customers. If food is your passion, you can make it a mission and care for your customers’ health too.
It will require you to rack your brains and come up with innovative food options, but it will be worth the time and effort spent. The returns are high, and the investment is purely in the form of raw materials and creativity.
So, let us get into the business.
Identify which junk foods are healthier and better for human consumption
As we said, not all junk is junk. If you eat in moderation and in a better way, you can seek something out of the foods. So, stop under-rating junk foods, however, do not overestimate them at all. Chips – Not the potato, deeply fried ones; they are certainly not good for health. You can substitute them with soy, millet, bananas, tapioca, sweet potato and sell them to the customers. Oil can be replaced with microwave cooking, and spices can surely be an add-on.
People have already started replacing milk chocolate with dark chocolate as it has several benefits, including stress management. You can sell dark chocolate by becoming a franchiser or a retailer. Vegans do have a liking for dark chocolate as they are always in search of no-milk foods. So, you can also target vegan groups.
Cookies have a bad reputation as they are mostly recalled with the heavy-sugary, Choco-chip ones. You can use a variety of healthy flours like ragi, oatmeal, millet, and other substances like granola, nuts, jaggery and seeds to make them more nutritious. We are sure customers will love your creation if you serve them with less-sugar alternatives too.
Popsicles, munchies, and rolls –
Forget the usual potato or meat-filled rolls and popsicles. You can now have fruits and veggies filled in to provide the essential dose of nutrients to your customers. We bet these are great as a mid-meal snack, particularly in the evenings. So, when your customers go crazy with cravings for something spicy and yummy, you could come to the picture.
Coffee is good and bad both. It is mentally stimulating and energizing, but too much of it can make you alert all day and night. But coffee lovers are still on the go and never plan to quit coffee in their lives. You can bring in different varieties of coffees from all over the world in your store and become a popular coffee seller.
Did we say ice cream is junk and one should not eat it at all? But ice cream still has a lot of minerals in it like calcium and phosphorous and is a coolant during summers. Vegan ice-creams are becoming a trend for a solid reason, and you could be the one seller in your town with a ton of healthy, nutritious ice-creams.
Cheese is a staple for most Americans. They cannot go without it a day. Even if it is not favored by doctors and health professionals, it still has nutrients. Moderation is a must, and you can even find out vegan alternatives to it.
Business operations for selling healthier junk food options
- Your ‘why’ is very clear – Let us thank Simon Sinek, the best-selling author, and well-known speaker, for his concept of why before starting anything or task. When you sell junk food, you might not be sure, or it could be simply entertaining your guests and fulfilling their taste buds. But when it comes to selling healthier alternatives to junk food, you could be having a definite why – to cater to taste buds without hampering their health.
- Innovation – It is not about making junk foods that are healthy; it is about creating first in your mind. Can you visualize a nutrition-dense ice cream in your mind? Only then can you put them into action. Or else it could be simply imagery. You should come up with ideas and experiment with them. It might happen that you will love the idea that you have developed, but your customers will not like the taste or appearance. Changes need to be made then. Remember that it is junk food; it should look and taste delicious and be healthy at the same time. So, it is a challenge, and we are sure you will be glad to take it up.
- Manufacturing or retailing or franchising – It doesn’t mean that you have created products at your place. You can even take up the franchising alternative or retailing option and still sell healthier junk food. If you become a franchiser or a retailer for a reputable brand, you could be earning high returns. But if you start from the making of foods, it could take time to establish a business and have a brand identity in the market.
- Sales and marketing – One of the interesting things to do in selling healthier junk foods is to create a vibe of your products amongst the products. If you sell for a brand, you might have to create awareness that the products of a particular brand are in town. If you have a unique healthy junk food, you should let others know that you are doing it. If people do not know what you are selling, they might not approach you at all.
Apart from awareness, you should know when customers demand junk foods. It is primarily the evening time when they have a craving for something yummy but not stomach-filling. You come to the rescue. Also, some customers might even feel like munching on junk foods between two meals, and if they do in excess, they prefer healthier options. So, you ought to be there for delivery at the right times. Your customers will be mostly working from the office or home, or even families could order junk foods on weekends. The demand is higher, and so, be ready with the options all the time.
- Future sales – Even when you are doing the best in selling junk foods, you should keep up the business by creating or including new items in your store. Customers love varieties, and they are constantly on the lookout for new ones. So, don’t be complacent and come up with new options before customers get tired of your creations and switch to other food brands.
In a nutshell, it is a fabulous idea to start a small business selling healthier junk food items.
A healthier junk food business is a business that offers healthier versions of traditional junk foods. This includes snacks, desserts, and meals made with healthier ingredients and lower caloric content.
Healthier versions of traditional junk food such as baked chips, fruit smoothies, and salads can be sold. Other options include healthier versions of pizza, sandwiches, burritos, burgers, and desserts.
You can make your healthier junk food business stand out by providing unique and tasty recipes, focusing on the quality of the ingredients in your products, and offering customizable meals and snacks. Additionally, offer tips on how to be healthier and give your customers healthy options to choose from.
Healthy ingredients to use in healthier junk food recipes include whole grains, fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, low-fat or fat-free dairy items, and heart-healthy fats such as olive oil or avocado.
Providing healthier junk food has some great advantages for your business; it can help attract customers looking for healthy options and keep them coming back for more, improve customer loyalty, and help your business stand out from competitors.
You can market your healthier junk food business through social media, email campaigns, radio and television ads, blogs, local events, and partnerships with schools, gyms, or other businesses in the community.
It is important to store your healthier junk food items properly to ensure they remain safe and edible. Some tips for storing healthier junk food include: keeping food covered, using air-tight containers, and using proper reheating techniques.
Generally, healthier junk food items cost more than traditional junk food because of the quality of their ingredients and the time it takes to make them. However, some healthier junk food items, such as baked goods, can be affordable and cost-effective.
There are several steps you can take to ensure food safety in your healthier junk food business including: washing your hands and surfaces regularly, keeping cold food cold and hot food hot, and always storing food in air-tight containers.
There are a variety of online resources and cookbooks available for creating healthier junk food recipes. Additionally, there are professional organizations such as The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics that provide helpful information and resources for creating and marketing healthier junk food.